The government is offering a tuition grant to qualified Bahamians to attend the Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institution (BTVI) as of the fall semester 2019, as announced by Minister of Education, the Honourable Jeffrey Lloyd during his communication in the House of Assembly today.
The government has provided $4.1 million for this initiative, with the expectation of providing tuition grants to approximately 1,200 students attending or preparing to attend BTVI, which offers programs in New Providence, Grand Bahama Abaco and Andros.
Recipients are not to be in possession of another award or scholarship at the time of application and the grant can be used for any of the certificate, diploma or associate degree programs offered at BTVI. This excludes short professional development courses.
The tuition grant covers registration fees, tuition, mandatory text books and certification exams, and is only available for the fall and spring semesters each year. Application and graduation fees are excluded.
To keep the tuition grant:
• Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or above.
• New Providence students must pursue a minimum of three (3) courses or nine (9) credits.
• Students attending BTVI on Grand Bahama, Abaco or Andros must pursue a minimum of two (2) courses or six (6) credits.
• Students must graduate within the certificate, diploma or associate of applied science degree period. The maximum period allowed for students to be recipients of the tuition grant will only extend by six (6) months to one (1) year to allow for courses that are not frequently offered.
Students whose GPA drops below a 2.0, will be placed on academic probation, but allowed a one (1) semester grace period to bring the GPA up to 2.0 or higher.
To apply for the BTVI tuition grant:
• Log onto www.btvi.edu.bs;
• Click the MY BTVI tab to complete the online application;
• Click the New Application tab and
• Scroll down and select the BTVI Tuition Grant Program link. Follow the instructions.
New students must first complete the BTVI Application for Admission, located on the same page.
Returning students only have to complete the BTVI Tuition Grant Program application.